Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What I've Learned During My First Weeks in College


If you drive through a small town, complete with a Target, a few Starbucks, a Walmart and a feed store, and make your way out toward the hills, you will come across a beautiful campus, sitting high, overlooking the Missouri River. The rolling hills and open green fields give you the feeling that you're in a completely different world. The sunsets and sunrises are breathtaking and though you have to drive fifteen minutes to get to anything, the beauty and awe make it a little more bearable. There are no street lights, no skyscrapers, but this means that you can see the stars every night, and when walking home after night class or hanging out in the cafeteria, you can't hear anything but the crickets in the grass and the basketballs bouncing in the Field House. 

This is the place where I'm going to school. And this is the place that I'm calling home. 

North Dakota. 

Who would've thought? I'm a California girl through and through and never imagined that I could leave my home state. All my family and most of my friends reside there and it's where I belong. However, less than two weeks after being at this campus, I'm feeling like I really belong here too. 

The people I've met, the memories we've made already, the laughs and the tears (I've only cried once and it was because I was way overtired and not thinking clearly...imagine that) and the two times I've gone into town already (!!!) have already made my college experience even more wonderful so far. I feel like I've known these people my whole life, and I feel like I am apart of a huge and amazing family. 

Though it's only been about a week and a half, I've already learned so many things, both the right and wrong way, but everything is a lesson. 

  1. A hot scramble made in front of you is going to taste good whether it's 7:30 in the morning or 10:30 at night
  2. North Dakota Starbucks close at 10 PM not 11
  3. Football players aren't the nicest guys out there...
  4. Nobody cares what you look like, they really don't
  5. This is not high school
  6. After days of not seeing anything besides this campus, going to McDonald's is an adventure
  7. It's always smart to lock your door at night 
  8. Friends who are becoming priests are the best brothers you'll ever have
  9. Taking risks are scary, but usually worth it
  10. Midwest people say "pop" instead of soda and it's weird 


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS